By the early years of the 20th century, the population of Baltimore was well over half a million, nearly double what it had been 30 years earlier. Though population growth had slowed a bit from the breakneck pace of the second half of the 19th century, the city was still growing at a brisk clip. As the new century approached, Baltimore had over 5,000 manufactories employing over 80,000 people- these folks needed homes.
With West Baltimore and the area around the harbor largely developed, planners and builders looked to the North and to the East as natural paths of housing expansion, and our block came into being: On June 9th, 1906, Mayor E. Clay Timanus (above) signed an ordinance accepting the deed for the land that would ultimately contain the 2300-2400 blocks of Eager Place from the German Bank of Baltimore City. This transaction paved the way (literally!) for the creation of a city street. This newly created chunk of Eager Place was just a few blocks from the city’s eastern border at the time, roughly near where S. Conkling Street is today. The full text of the ordinance is below: