This is 2410 East Eager Street. As you might be able to tell from the charred areas surrounding the windows and doors, the house fell victim to a fire. The careful observer will note that the charring is over Steve Powers’ mural, meaning the fire happened within the past few months. In fact, this house and parts of the house next door, 2412, burned just weeks after the completion of the mural. Below is a shot from the Baltimore Firefighters Union’s Twitter page showing what the house looked like on August 14, 2014.
Because the fire gutted the houses, we weren’t able to get inside to salvage anything. The last person to ever set foot in those houses was a firefighter. Census data only goes up to 1940 to protect privacy, but here are some other folks who set foot in 2410. Prepare for names with lots of consecutive consonants:
1940:James Trjnecky, an apprentice linesman with his wife, Rose, and son Jerome.
1930: Mary Hlubeck, a Czech widow who lived there with her two daughters, Anna and Mary. Mary did housework for a private family, and her daughter Anna worked as a salesperson at a dry goods store.
1920: Albert Smcrina, a Bohemian clothing wholesaler, along with his wife, Bessie, and daughter Mildred, lived in 2410.
1910: Frederic Thon, an osteopath, lived with his wife, Mary, a psychic healer.
Just next door to the Thons lived the Block family, in house #2412. Seeing as the houses were built just a couple years before the census was taken, it’s a pretty safe assumption that the Blocks were the first people to inhabit 2412. We’ve already mentioned that a firefighter was the last person to set foot in 2412, so now we’ll reveal that the man who was likely the first person to set foot in 2412, Mr. John H. Block, was also a city firefighter.