The house at 2323 Eager Street was razed several years ago, though one can still find it on Google Street View. Seeing as the house no longer exists, we’re not deconstructing it as part of our project. But, seeing as the house was once on Eager Street, we’re interested in the history of the place nonetheless.
Photo courtesy of Google Street View
Census records from 1920 show that #2323 first belonged to John Doetsch, a 61 year-old German carpenter who emigrated in 1883 and was naturalized in 1888. He spoke English and could both read and write. He shared his house with:
Sophia, his wife, 62, not employed
Catherine, his daughter, 34, a dressmaker
Elizabeth, his daughter, 29, a dressmaker
Anna, his daughter, 25, not employed
Amela, niece, 22, an examiner at Henry Sonneborn & Co.
A brief history of the above mentioned Mr. Sonneborn: he arrived here in 1849 from Germany, peddled wares in West Virginia for a time, and ultimately settled in Baltimore where he established a massively successful clothing company. When he opened his fireproof, nine-story factory on Pratt and Paca in 1906, he advertised it as the largest clothing factory in the world (a dubious claim, but it WAS the tallest factory in Baltimore). Once open, the factory employed 4,000 people and produced 3,000 suits per day. The company dissolved a quarter-century later, but the beautiful building remains. (Thanks to this old City Paper article for some background info)